Ask the Expert: Dan White | Larkin Insurance

Dan White is the Principal/Risk Manager of the Larkin Insurance Group in Lake Leelanau, MI. I recently had a chance to sit down with him and ask a few questions about the importance of making sure you are covered on the big day.


What is "special event insurance", and how does one know if it is needed?

Special event insurance is just what is says and is usually driven by entities that are providing facilities or services. These facilities often request a certificate of insurance from those holding the event (i.e. bride and groom, bride's parents, etc.). In most cases the facility would like to be named as an additional insured on the certificate.


What does the insurance cover?

The coverage you would be purchasing is liability for any negligence on your behalf.  The facility is responsible for insuring itself for negligence on it's behalf.


What is a standard dollar amount I should insure for, and what does this insurance typically cost?

In almost all cases a persons homeowners policy or tenants policy does extend coverage to the special event from their liability coverage on that policy and generally you can have limits up to $1,000,000. If higher limits are required a person can obtain a personal umbrella in increments of $1,000,000 or they can get a one day policy for the special event in both cases the premium would run around $200-$300.


Where does one obtain this insurance?

Most homeowners and/or renters insurance policies provide coverage at no additional charge but I would check with your agent to make sure!